WHY MONOCHLORAMINE IS THE BEST BIOCIDE FOR REMEDIATION OF LEGIONELLA?
Do you know why monochloramine is the best biocide for remediation of Legionella?
Monochloramine as biocide against Legionella? It is the basics of chemistry. Monochloramine is a form of “combined chlorine” where the O atom in the hypochlorous acid molecule (HO-Cl) is replaced by the N atom (H2N-Cl). The N-Cl chemical bond is less “polarized” than the O-Cl one. This means Cl shares more electrons with N than with O. Speaking in terms of reactivity (oxidative and biocidal activity) the monochloramine is less reactive than chlorine! This seems to be in contrast with the title of this newsletter.
So, why is monochloramine more suitable for Legionella remediation?
The answer is this: Monochloramine being more stable (less reactive) can better penetrate bacterial biofilm and kill Legionella where it lurks. And it does this without affecting the piping materials (no corrosion!). At Sanipur we understand Legionella remediation. Our 30 years of remediation experience led to the development of the SANIKILL® Monochloramine Technology. The first and only monochloramine-based disinfection system specific for Legionella remediation approved by the EU Biocide Regulation (BPR PT5) and is NSF Standards 60 & 61 compliant.
Read below to discover why SANIKILL® “the Monochloramine” has been shown to be the most effective biocide currently available
Listed here are the features that make SANIKILL® the best solution for Legionella remediation in domestic water systems and cooling towers:
- Approved for drinking water application (EU BPR PT5 and US NSF 60 & 61)
- Respectful of all piping materials (no corrosion neither on metals or on plastics)
- Long-lasting (the only disinfectant active in dead legs)
- Very effective in penetrating biofilm (killing bacteria where they lurk)
- Active in a broad range of pH (completely effective also at alkaline pH)
- Active in cold, warm and hot water
- Does not produce any toxic or harmful by-products
- Does not cause any changes in water taste and odor